Sunday, July 22, 2012

Welcome Baby!

He finally made his entrance! Colton Graham was born Monday night, July 16 at 11:24 pm. He weighed 7 lbs 15 oz and is 22 inches long. All is well and we are home. Hard to believe he'll be one week old tomorrow! Time flies when you're sleep deprived!

Warning: Labor story following...

On Monday, I wasn't feeling great and was a little grouchy and tired. The boys and I drove out to pick up my last baby necessity- a new pump. When we got home, I decided to take a nap. After waking up I had the feeling that maybe my water was leaking. My water had broken with Biggest Brother, so I knew what that felt like. This was different. My doctor had said to call even if I wasn't sure. So, I made the call. My doctor was out and it was an on-call doctor. She said it was probably nothing, but to head to the hospital just in case. So, the boys grabbed their bags and we grabbed ours. (I also washed out a few drawers in the fridge, just in case we didn't come back home!) The boys went to the neighbor's house, but we told them most likely we'd be back soon and this probably wasn't "the real thing."

We got to the hospital around 5pm. They checked us in and settled us in a room and tested the fluid. Thank goodness we had gone in- since they discovered I had a leak somewhere in the bag of waters. This was it- "the real thing". I started out at 3cm dilated and 50% effaced with mild contractions I could barely feel. They made us walk the halls until 8:30 and checked again. Not much progress. I was still laughing and nice to everyone- so they figured I wasn't in true labor yet. I was still 3cm and now 80% effaced. So, they wanted to start pitocin. I had had that with my previous 2 babies and was determined to avoid the medical interventions this time. So, we talked the doctor into breaking the rest of my water instead. She didn't think it would do much. But, by 9:05 I had my first true painful contraction. From that point forward I had contraction after contraction about 30 seconds long and just 1-2 minutes apart with increasing intensity.

I had been told to head to the hospital when my contractions were 5 minutes apart lasting 1 minute for an hour. Since this never happened during my labor at the hospital I was convinced I wasn't progressing very quickly. However, the nurse brought in the baby warmer and was setting it all up for the baby. She told me get into the jacuzzi tub for 10 contractions. I couldn't understand why we'd go through all that work for 10 lousy contractions. I don't think I had 10, but it was getting so painful and she and Kevin had to drag me out (because at this point I wasn't laughing and nice anymore!). She wanted to check my progress. I was convinced I'd only be at like 6cm or something- but she said she knew it would be more. By the time I was on the table, she checked and I was 8 1/2. They called the Dr in and the next contraction I was 9cm. With 2 more I was 10!!!

I asked what time it was. They told me 11 something. I couldn't believe this little boy was coming so soon. It took about 4, maybe 5 pushes and he was out!

This was my first delivery without and epidural and medications and inductions. I thought it would be more calm, less chaotic, and would give me time to relax in between contractions. And though that wasn't the case, we had taken a great birthing class and for that I am grateful. We had packed our bags full of supplies and things to help in the process. But, every time Kevin would start to walk away to get something to help, I would start calling him back as another contraction would start.  I had a lot of back labor and Kevin would push really hard on my back. He honestly couldn't have pushed hard enough for me, but it did relieve some of the pain. I knew we'd both be sore the next day! Though it was a fast and crazy delivery, both of us were calm since we knew the process.

I guess I wouldn't describe myself as calm. The nurse told me later that the lady in the room next to me was planning on an unmedicated birth, but after she heard me she was reconsidering the epidural. The nurse said I was good advertisement for the epidural!!! Overall, it was what I hoped for- a healthy fast delivery of a healthy little boy!



The next morning, Kevin brought the big brothers up to meet their new little brother. They were pretty excited to see him. Nathan said, "Is that really our baby?" Brennen ended up holding him and soothing him for close to 2 hours straight. 








He had his first bath with the nurse in our room so the boys could watch. He didn't particularly love it!


Then, we got our first family photo. More to come soon!


2 comments:

  1. I was fine until I read about the boys referring to Colton as "our baby", then I lost it. Many congrats! You are amazing for going sans drugs. That was my wish both times, but we had c-sections. I will live vicariously through you now.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheesh, Breeana! You look amazing!!! Your face isn't swollen at all! Fun catching up on your story!

    ReplyDelete